Avalakki is a simple breakfast made from aval/poha. It’s popular in Karnataka.
Aval/Poha – 1 cup
Onions – 2 medium sized, sliced lengthwise
Green chilly – 1or 2, sliced
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Broken urad dal – 1 tsp
Channa dal/kadala paruppu – 1 TBsp
Tumeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 2 TBsp
Salt to taste
- Wash the Poha/aval well in running water, till the water is clear. 3-4 times should do. Drain the water by placing the Poha/aval in a strainer.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add the urad dal and channa dal.
- When the dal turns brown, throw in the onions, green chilly and curry leaves.
- Saute till onions are done.
- Add tumeric powder and salt.
- Squeeze in the lime juice.
- Add the Poha/aval and stir gently for few mins. Approximately 2-3 mins.
Your healthy and easy breakfast is ready.
Serve hot with Pickle or ketchup or chutney.